[ODE] Trimesh -> other objects performance question...

Flavien Brebion f.brebion at vrcontext.com
Wed May 11 11:40:36 MST 2005

Vast wrote:

> I don't really have anything that could prove my machine could do
> better, yet the change from 60 fps to 45 is too sudden. When I have
> blocks falling one after another, everything is fine, and about 50
> boxes fell down, fps is still 60,  but once the falling stopped, and
> some objects disabled themselves, suddenly, the framerate drops. It is
> very strange, so i thought i would post it here. THanks for telling me
> about the way OPCODE works with trimeshes, it really makes me feel
> better.
>
> I believe I am doing a debug build all the time (the release build
> should improve the performance, right?) Yet it still should not be a
> cause for such a sudden decrease in speed...

It could very well be. There is a lot of difference between debug and
release builds in places that do complex maths operations.. like ODE. I
wouldn't be surprized if the speed ratio was around 5-10, instead of the
usual 2 in a "normal" program.

In addition, what kind of space are you using to store your geoms in ?

F. Brebion