[ODE] problems with amotor

Jason Mallios jmallios at cs.brown.edu
Sun May 8 13:34:04 MST 2005

I notice most questions on AMotors don't get responded to by this forum,
and others, like http://ode.petrucci.ch/, don't have much to offer.

Is it widely accepted that this class is broken?  I've tried to implement
most examples from years of community correspondence and none have worked
as expected.

Outstanding issues include:

- How do you get a non-zero vector representing the
automatically-calculated axis 1 in Euler mode?

- How can you get a relative angle between two Ball and AMotor-connected
bodies in User mode, since dJointGetAMotorAngle returns the initial
angles only in this mode?

- When or will dJointGetAMotorAngleRate be implemented and added to an
official release?

- Given a world-space torque, calculated as a single vector, how can you
reliably apply it to dJointAddAMotorTorques without euler-angle gimbal
lock?

Jason Mallios