[ODE] ODE crashs? stack overflow?

Aras Pranckevicius nearaz at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 20:30:59 MST 2005

> I have used ODE for my game developement. Everything seems to be fine.
> However, when the game runs for a few minutes , it would use crash because
> of stack overflow. It is a pretty random case and usually I find that some
> of my object's velocity is -1#QN.

Sometimes I observe this as well. In my situation, it mostly affects
very light objects that have their mass distribution
long-thin-box-like. It goes like this: after some contact, the object
obtains some angular velocity (starts spinning), and for some reason
sometimes the spinning only accelerates, first to high numbers, then
to infinities, then to IND/NAN. Then at some point linear velocity
also degenerates, then position, and then everything breaks :)

Applying some damping (eg. air drag) to angular and linear velocities
does help a bit. Also, I do explicitly clamp the angular velocity to
some limit.

I'm not sure why this behavior exists, now I attribute that to single
precision floating point, quickstep solver and pretty high timestep I
use (too busy to investigate... clamping angular velocity did the
trick :))

--
Aras 'NeARAZ' Pranckevicius
http://nesnausk.org/nearaz | http://nearaz.blogspot.com