[ODE] patches/unstable etc...

Adam D. Moss adam at gimp.org
Wed Jun 29 21:18:12 MST 2005

Jaroslav Sinecky wrote:
> Hi all!

Hi!

> I know this is an old topic but I just still don't get how the patches are
> working. There have been couple of patches on the maillist that seem to be
> very useful (or least worth trying). As far as I understood the unstable
> branch in CVS was created for these kind of stuff, but I don't see any of
> these patches in the CVS UNSTABLE. Even for example the "position-correcting
> constraints" patch by Adam Moss that appeared in April is not there.

I don't think everything should just go into UNSTABLE, or it
will live up to its name and not actually be useful for anyone.
Posting patches to the list is a good first-filter for experimental
changes (or, it would be if anyone actually looked at patches on
the list!).

> So if I want to try some of these patches I should apply them using the
> textual difference format that you guys attach to mails?

Yup.

 > How? Manualy or is
> there some utility for this?

The 'patch' utility on all unixoids applied these patches.  I expect
there's a patch.exe for win32 systems shipped with cygwin or similar,
as well as various independant ports around the net.

> And if let's say I have a bugfix, what should I do? Create a diff w.r.t.
> current CVS head and send it to the list?

Yes, diffs are almost the only useful way to submit fixes, since
they isolate the fix from the rest of the drifting code (think about
the issues of isolating the Fix from the Everything Else in a moving
codebase otherwise).

> The fact is I have a bug fix ... see this thread
> http://q12.org/pipermail/ode/2005-June/016060.html. I cleaned and optimized
> bit the code and added joint feedback printout functionality to
> test_boxstack, so one can see clearly that what the original code returns is
> completly wrong (feedbacks summed from all joints for each body) and the new
> at least appears to be correct.

I completely missed that.  Is looks good.  If you (or someone) can
make a patch for it and no-one objects, I'll try to apply it to the
trunk. :)

ta,
--adam
Adam D. Moss   -   adam at gimp.org