[ODE] Box Penetration

Adam D. Moss adam at gimp.org
Thu Jun 23 18:59:56 MST 2005

Mohamed I. Matar wrote:
> I think many of you had this problems specially when dealing with trimesh.
> So, any ideas ???
>
> Subject: [ODE] Box Penetration
>
> I am trying to simulate a couple of boxes squeezed between two Plates
> (bigger boxes). The problem I have is that, some boxes penetrate the Plates
> and even come from the other side. I was hoping they will prevent the plates
> from coming together but some particles pass through. I have increased
> number of contact points, but did not see much improvement. I also decreased
> the time step and used dworldstep of 0.02, but still particle passes. I am
> trying changing mass of plates now.

If the box's contacts aren't enough to keep the plates apart
then penetration is just a natural side effect (what else would
be expected?).  The only question is why the box doesn't keep the
plates apart.  I'm guessing you're applying a force to bring the
plates together and it's too strong to be countered by the
box's soft contact.  Try lowering the force and/or playing
with ERP/CFM.

--adam
Adam D. Moss   -   adam at gimp.org