[ODE] ODE in Myst V: A Postmortem

Colin Bonstead colin at cyan.com
Wed Jun 22 08:42:17 MST 2005

No, we made a decision at the start to not make any physics based
puzzles.  For one, they're a testing nightmare, and two, pretty much
everyone hated them in Uru.  As a matter of fact, we don't really use
any obvious physics.

We really weren't sure what ODE would be able to handle, so we made sure
that nothing critical in the game would depend on physics.  We actually
could have gotten away with just using ODE for collision detection and
having a non-physical player controller.  However, I was hoping that we
could use physics more in a future game so I did make the avatar
physical, so I could work out all the issues with that.  It is possible
to create dynamic physicals in the engine right now, but aside from some
testing I did it won't be used.