[ODE] Use of ODE in commercial products

Aras Pranckevicius nearaz at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 16:04:36 MST 2005

> I allways thought that ODE was an out-of-the box
> physics solution, but looks like it's not true...

Yes it is. It's just often not the out-of-the-box "game physics"
solution. These are a bit different :)

> What I would like it's that if you could share your
> experience with us when you integrate ODE on your
> commercial game.

I recently was a physics programmer for one upcomming RTS game, and we
used ODE there. Basically, most of the time was spent on game-specific
stuff, not the physics library itself (game specific: how body parts
are marked up, how they spawn particle effects&sounds&decals, etc.
etc.).

There was one issue with ODE's native collision system; that was for
the case when there are lots of non-body (static) collidables (think
game level) and not-so-many dynamic bodies (think units that are
currenly doing "physics stuff"). I've written on the problem and the
solution used to this list on Apr 21:
http://hook.org/pipermail/ode/2005-April/015749.html

--
Aras 'NeARAZ' Pranckevicius