[ODE] I have buckling joints with 4 wheeled vehicle

dan at auscoders.com dan at auscoders.com
Thu Jun 9 23:36:51 MST 2005

Ive set up a rear wheel drive 4 wheeled vehicle based on the buggy sample in
the ODE docs, and have been trying to tune it so the rear wheel pair will
manager to stay straight with the vehicle forward axis. They tend to stray
when the velocity vector and the vehicle forward axis are not close, (this
happens by taking a hard corner at speeds / doing burnouts and that type of
stuff)

I have put a link to a couple of screen shots showing what happens when the
vehicles forward vector and it velocity vector are far enough apart. Once
the two vectors approach each other again the rear wheels sort themselves
out. But when the force is high the look (and handling) is one of the joint
bending or buckling under the forces along the vehicles X axis.  I use a
coordinate system of X is Right, Y is Up, and Z is Forward;

I have tried setting the hinge CFM/ERP to 0.0/1.0f respectively and it made
no difference to the sim. I also used the stops shown in the buggy example
these still made no difference.

The images can be viewed here

www.auscoders.com/odevehicle/wheels1.jpg (36k)
www.auscoders.com/odevehicle/wheels2.jpg (39k)

Ahh I have also put the cpp|.h|.config file up there as well, feel free to
take a look if you want to dig that deep

www.auscoders.com/odevehicle/wheeledvehicle.cpp (17k)
www.auscoders.com/odevehicle/wheeledvehicle.h (1k)
www.auscoders.com/odevehicle/gt40_data.txt (1k)

If anyone can view the pictures and has an idea / knowledge on the fix I
would really appreciate the help.

Cheers,

Dan S.