[ODE] Would ODE Handle this Efficiently?

A W sysrpl_lists at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 8 17:54:26 MST 2005

Hello all. I am a new user of ODE and thank you for taking the time to read
this message.

I have the following problem. I am in the primordial stages of developing a
pinball simulator/construction set and am trying to decide upon how to
handle the physics on the table. Of concern to me is a fast response time,
and to that end my question is: would it be appropriate to use ODE to
calculate the physics for a pinball game simulator?

Before you jump to respond to this question two points:

1) In a pinball game simulator the there are few parts that actually have
forces applied to them. The majority of the objects in the simulator are
immobile and serve to just deflect the ball. In other words, there is no
need to collision detect between the walls and the flippers and the bumper
and the drains. They cannot collide with each other. About the only
collision detection needed is between the round sphere ball and and the
previously mentioned objects. Other than that a plunger is needed to provide
the ball with its initial energy and spinners need to rotate when hit by a
ball.

I am afraid a physics engine like ODE might waste an enormous amount of CPU
time if it tries to calculate possible collisions between these immobile
objects (walls colliding with other walls ect). Can engines like ODE be told
to ignore collision detection and physics calculations between these objects
while still allowing a ball(s) to collide with these same objects?

2) I am this question rather than doing and finding out for myself (after
much time has been invested and possibly waster) because I am an obvious
newbie to ODE and am not familiar with its limitations and performance under
'optimal' conditions. I am hoping that by requesting comments from
experienced users I can save myself some pain of running down a road and
later hitting a brick wall, or maybe using a sledge hammer when little taps
would suffice.

I hope I have explained myself correctly. Please ask me to clarify if I
haven't been specific enough.

Thanks.