[ODE] Materials

John Donovan JohnD at MagentaSoftware.com
Tue Jul 19 16:07:01 MST 2005

> it seems there is no strong consensus on the "best" way.

Yes, I guessed as much!

> I've implemented a hybrid of the two methods you propose.  This
dynamic combination is not physically accurate by any means, but just
something to produce interesting behaviors.

That sounds like a good plan. I'm sure there aren't many of us wanting
to create physically realistic simulations (not with ODE, anyway), so
the ability to tweak a table to get something that looks good, is
probably for the best.

> I lean towards avoiding dynamic memory allocation, so the table is
pre-allocated by the application to a maximum size

Yes, those of us who make a living on consoles, rarely have the luxury
of dynamic memory allocation.

> One nice byproduct of the table...

That's something I hadn't thought of. Giving a designer the power to
adjust parameters takes any decision making out of my hands :)

> If I get it cleaned up, I'd be happy to post the code for this system
for people to look at.

That'd be good. But don't hurry on my account, I know what it's like to
have to tidy up code for public display! Thanks a lot for your help
Matt.

-J

The content of this message and any attached file are confidential and/or privileged and are for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, any unauthorised use, disclosure, copying, distribution or other dissemination is strictly prohibited. If you receive this message in error please notify the sender immediately by email, telephone or fax and then delete this email. Any attachment with this message should be checked for viruses before it is opened. Magenta Software Limited cannot be held responsible for any failure by the recipient to check for viruses before opening any attachment. Copyright in this email and attachments created by us belongs to Magenta Software Limited. Should you communicate with anyone at Magenta Software Limited by email you consent to us monitoring and reading any such correspondence.