[ODE] From unstable to trunk...

Gary R. Van Sickle g.r.vansickle at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jul 1 06:31:33 MST 2005

Cygwin does this too.  The main troubles are getting people sending patches
there in the first place (instead of the main list).

> It's just one alternative that I think could improve the patch-flow.
> The previous system of a very few busy people noticing+understanding+
> testing+applying patches scattered on the mailing list wasn't working,
> and now the newer system of the UNSTABLE branch has
> marginally helped but has its own complications.
>
> We don't have many developers submitting patches in the first
> place, and that's indeed a problem which this all isn't going
> to address (apart from not so actively discouraging
> developers after their first patch submission seems to fail),
> but the process for juggling the few patches that we DO get
> really hasn't worked in the past and still needs a lot more love.

Agreed and agreed, if "a lot more love" == "more active maintainership".
With an active maintainer(s), the rest of the stuff tends to sort itself
out, mainly because the maintainers just decide what they want to do and do
it.  I've never seen it work the other way around, e.g. suddenly a dozen
maintainers pop up because a project switched from cvs to subversion.

> --adam
> --
> Adam D. Moss   -   adam at gimp.org

Gary R. Van Sickle