[ODE] Wrong solutions for wheeled mechanism (slippage settings)

Thomas Thüer ode at thoemsen.ch
Mon Jan 31 01:13:16 MST 2005

Hi all,
I'm developing a simulator for mars rover type mechanisms. Building and
setting up these rovers with ODE works fine, but I recently found out
that setting the slippage on the wheel-ground contact joints can cause
serious problems regarding the results of ODE's calculations. When I set
the slippage to a very low value, it happens that the rover behavior
doesn't correspond to real behavior when negotiating an obstacle. Take a
rockerbogie type rover (6 wheeled) for example, it happens that the
middle wheels are lifted at the same time the front wheels touch the
obstacle and start climbing up, instead of staying on the ground and
rotating around the revolute joint. Obviously, ODE doesn't find the
appropriate solution due to the low slippage value. But on the other
hand, when I allow more slip, the rover cannot negotiate the obstacle
because it is slipping 100%. I cannot find the appropriate values for
the contact joint settings that allow the rover to perform the real
behavior on some obstacle, while other rovers do not cause any problems
on the same obstacle.

Has anyone already encountered similar problems with wheeled mechanisms
(vehicles) when negotiating obstacles?

Your help is highly appreciated, THANKS A LOT!
C'ya,
Thomas

--

Thomas Thüer
Autonomous Systems Lab, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne