[ODE] Has anybody had any luck with dJointSetAMotorAngle?

Andrew Schroeder schroe2a at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 08:34:21 MST 2005

In browsing the mailings I see that you seem to have figured out
exaclty how to do what I've been trying (and failing) to do.  I want
to have an aMotor that keeps a body upright like you talk about below,
but I have some questions you can probably answer.

When you say:
 > each frame I calculate the angular difference between the
cylinder's local x, y
 > and z axes and the global x, y and z axes
How do you do that? I tried a few things but I have problems with
gimbal lock and other issues.

Also, you say:
> The differences I find between each (axis?) I set as new AMotor angles for the > corresponding AMotor axes.
Does this mean you call setAMotorAngle again now with the newly
rotated angle? If so, how does that serve to keep the cylinder upright
as now ODE since all that call does is tell ode what the angle is?  I
have been trying to use atan of the dot product to find the angle, and
then setting the desired velocity of the motor to stand it upright but
I'm having all kinds of problems with that.  Would you mind sharing
more details on your appoach to this?

Thanks,
Andy