[ODE] multihreading and ODE

cesar pachon cesarpachon at yahoo.es
Mon Jan 24 14:45:26 MST 2005

hello! I put a separate thread (timer) for
fixed-stepping ODE, and a Main thread with
update-paint code.. the problem is that periodically
my car (a simple car simulation) vibrates. it quicky
becomes stable, but graphically looks bad. my code is:

 timer_func(){
   stepping_ode = true;
   dWorldQuickStep (dWorldID, fixedstepsize);
   stepping_ode = false;
 }
this method runs a 30 fps. My Update and Paint thread
runs at 120 fps (no constant rate) and I check the
flag:
 update(){
  //calculate actual framerate..
  if(!stepping_ode){
    //query ODE and update graphic objects.. pos and
rot.
  }
  paint();
 }
my question is.. is something bad with the flag? do I
need sync also the reading method? If I do that, it
would affect the fixed framerate of ODE stepping
function?
thanks by the help!