[ODE] Re: ODE (and mainly OPCODE) for 64bits

Frederic Marmond zebarbuc at free.fr
Fri Jan 21 10:37:40 MST 2005

Ha?
thanks to share it! ;)
What solution did you take:
- the 'good' one (make a 32bit offset based on the real 64bit memory pointer)
- the 'bad' one (change all ODE-pointers to 64bits)

('good' and 'bad', according to the OPCODE goal, which was to take as less
memory it can. I respect this obectif and I think it would be good to keep it
on, even if for my particular purpose, memory size is not a problem)

Does your code keep compil on 32bits system (is it portable?)

Fred

Selon Flavien Brebion <f.brebion at vrcontext.com>:

> I just wanted to say that i ported ODE to Irix / Linux 64 bits like 6
> months ago, and that all i did
> was to fix that pointer / offset problem in OPCODE's tree data
> structures. The modification took
> half an hour and it works flawlessly. Haven't seen any performance
> problem either.
>
> F. Brebion
>

> Frederic Marmond wrote:
>
> >Ok, so, I think I'll try to get time to make the port.
> >By the way, I think I'll introduce a new typedef for that pointer-offset. It
> >will be easier in the futur to track it and identify it as a offset.
> >May I try to do specific 64bit code (#ifdef SYS64 offset=pointer-base; #
> else
> >offset=pointer #endif) to avoid inutile computation on 32bits system, or
> would
> >this 'offset system' be used by both 32 and 64 arch ?
> >

> >Pierre: may I work with the ODE cvs, or is there a OPCODE cvs somewhere?
> >(or, if I make patches against the ODE-opcode, will you port it to the
> current
> >OPCODE dev sources?)
> >
> >But don't expect me to make it before few weeks... it is a busy time for
> >everyone! :-/
> >
> >Fred

> >>once
> >>
> >>Err, yes, of course all nodes are "allocated" from a single continuous
> >>buffer :)
> >>
> >>- Pierre
> >>

> >--
> >Fred Marmond