[ODE] objects in water

Bob Dowland Bob.Dowland at blue52.co.uk
Tue Jan 18 09:50:42 MST 2005

> In fact, once you go further down, the object may start to compress
> because of the high pressure, and thus its density goes up,
> and it gets
> less buoyancy further down. Divers can feel this at 10 meters!

Second that - in fact a diver begins to feel hydrostatic pressure on the eardrums at 2-3 meters. By 10 the pressure is double wrt surface (10m == 1 atmosphere (water) + 1 (air)). In fact even on a 40 m dive it is the ten closest to the surface which are the most dangerous due to pressure gradient.

But this (hydrostatic - ie due to depth) pressure acts normal to the surface (all over - isotropic) so the sum is zero and there is no direct influence on the motion of the centre of mass. Buoyancy, on the other hand, is just about relative density of the object and the fluid it's displacing, this can only change for a given object if the pressure can cause a change in density - as it does for eg. on an air bag.

Interestingly enough I believe fish have an (air?) bladder which works by similar principles - muscular contractions expand and contract it so that the fish either climbs or descends due to the water it's displacing.

:)