[ODE] velocity constraints vs. acceleration constraints

Bob Dowland Bob.Dowland at blue52.co.uk
Tue Jan 11 10:19:27 MST 2005

Pretty fundamental questions - it'd be great to hear some responses!

In the meantime, one issue with acceleration constraint is friction - from http://www.math.umbc.edu/~potra/fulltext.pdf

"The major obstacle in incorporating the Coulomb friction model in multibody dynamics simulation is that the classical force-acceleration model with a corresponding Newton law is inconsistent: it does not necessarily have a solution in the classical sense."

The rest of that paper is about "Timestepping" - which might be worth googling.

:)

Bob.