[ODE] collision detection optimalizations for humanoid

Erin Catto erincatto at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 7 23:16:39 MST 2005

I see your point; I checked and ODE does compute bounding boxes for each
HashSpace. This would quickly cull the two humanoids if they are not
touching. Unfortunately, once the two HashSpace boxes overlap, the code
descends into an O(n^2) test. I think that overall this would be a loss
compared to using a single HashSpace, but I could be wrong because I have
not profiled the HashSpace (i.e. it might be slow).

My main experience with the n-body problem is with my own sweep-and-prune
code. Others have said, and I agree, that SAP can be much faster than
hashing. There are many tricks to getting an efficient SAP. Gino van den
Bergen's book is a good place to start.

Erin