[ODE] Convex Volume Geom (GJK)

Rodrigo Hernandez kwizatz at aeongames.com
Wed Dec 21 22:14:16 MST 2005

jstier at cs.uvic.ca wrote:

>I am curious about Convex Hull collision detection. What
>are its advantages ? Is it faster ? Could you point me
>to some reading material ...
>
>Cheers and Happy Holidays
>Jochen

Well, what Erwin said :)
there are also some asumptions that can be made about convex hulls, for
example you can tell if a point is inside the hull if it is behind all
the planes descrived by the faces, if you trace a line between any 2
points in the hull, the line is guaranteed to be entirelly inside the
hull, it can be descrived as a collection of inequalities (linear
programing) based on the equations for their faces, and some others.

All BSP based engines use convex shapes as building blocks for more
complex shapes on their level maps.