[ODE] Should trimeshes react to physics?

Keith Wiley kwiley at cs.unm.edu
Wed Dec 14 08:21:48 MST 2005

On Dec 12, 2005, at 11:18 AM, Jon Watte (ODE) wrote:

>> the terrain.  For the most part it works really well, but
>> occasionally one of the blocks suddenly explodes upward with great
>
> You need two things:
>
> 1) Use the auto-disable, and make sure your blocks-at-rest actually
> go to disable. Most engines have pretty aggressive defaults for
> these values to improve stability; ODE has pretty conservative
> defaults so you may have to change them.

I am disabling the blocks based on their velocity, but I don't know
if it is "auto-disable".  I am using code similar to the original
bricks and canon example, which I believe it "manual disable", since
the decision about disabling is handled by the simulation instead of
within ODE's internals.

> 2) Use a fixed time step, if you aren't already. http://
> www.mindcontrol.org/~hplus/graphics/game_loop.html

I think I do already.  I just call Quckstep.  I'll check that link out.

> You possibly need a third thing:
>
> 3) Make sure you allow at least 12 contacts between trimeshes and
> geoms, if your geoms happen to be sitting in a crossing of 6
> different triangles (such as at a vertex in a typical heightfield).

I'll check into this.  Thanks.

Keith Wiley         kwiley at cs.unm.edu         http://www.unm.edu/~keithw

"And what if we picked the wrong religion?  Every week, we're just
making God madder and madder!"
                                            --  Homer Simpson