[ODE] How terrain collisions are handled.

Guru2012 mykonian at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 01:22:36 MST 2005

My apologies if this question sounds extremely ignorant, because I am. I
have been looking around for physics engines that I could use in a 2D game
for a while, and I came upon ODE. I've read through the manual and I've
examined some of the source code to see how I might integrate it into my
current code. It seems very well suited, but there is one question still
lingering on my mind:

In my previous attempts at collision response, I have always used a separate
impulse equation taken as the limit as the mass of the second body goes to
infinity. Flipping through the manual and googling, however, I couldn't find
anything about it here.
I see that ODE uses a contact joint, and I see how this would work for a
collision between two free bodies, but what contact parameters are used for
collisions of a free body to fixed immovable terrain?

In other words, does ODE treat fixed terrain different from any free body
when resolving contacts, and if yes, then different in what ways?