[ODE] Trimesh collision (Terrain)

matt stephure stephure at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 14:00:17 MST 2005

(Not sure if my other message made it, hope it's not a double post.)

Hi everyone,

I've been trying for the past week to get proper terrain collisions
going with ODE.

Right now, I'm just trying to replicate the test_trimesh environment
inside my own code. I've built it up, and it draws correctly, however
it seems that the objects are only colliding on the vertex, not the
face of the mesh. The mesh, is the same one from test_trimesh, the
inverted cone.

When I drop an object into the mesh it slides right past it, if it
doesn't hit the center vertex. If it hits the center vertex it
correctly calls dJointAttach from the callback, but then it gets flung
right out of the mesh. If the object being dropped just passes through
a face, it does not call dJointAttach.

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong? test_trimesh runs fine, so
I'm using a properly compiled version of ODE. I'm using the same
CFM/ERP and StepSize as the test. The objects being dropped have the
same density. Our colliders are essentially the same, with the only
difference being some modifications to surfaces.

I've been using ODE for a while, and I'm fairly comfortable with it,
but I've run out of ideas on how to make this work.

Also, just as in the test, I'm using the BuildSimple trimesh creation methods.

Thanks for your time and assistance,