[ODE] Ideas for threading ODE...

Bram Stolk bram at sara.nl
Sun Aug 21 09:00:36 MST 2005

Tyler Streeter wrote:

>Can you explain this statement?  Why is it better to roll your own
>using pthreads?  I would think OpenMP is better since it is simpler to
>use and works on more platforms.

I may be wrong, as I have not used OpenMP myself, but:
I thought that OpenMP is implicit parallelisation?
pthread is explicit.

Thus: with OpenMP you have to *hope* that the compiler
can find some concurrency in the sections that you mark.
Maybe the compiler can parallellise, yet maybe it can't.

With pthreads you explicitly decide what tasks to do
concurrently.

And as allways... even the smartest compilers are no match
for a smart programmer.

So with pthread you do more of the work yourself, but have
better control on how threads are created/used, etc, wrt to
OpenMP.

But then again, I've only used pthreads myself, so I may be
off here.

  bram