[ODE] Ideas for threading ODE...

Aras Pranckevicius nearaz at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 17:42:00 MST 2005

> simply because during rendering it's GPU who works more, isn't it? Or at
> least there is high possibility that CPU gets idle when GPU task queue gets
> full or while waiting to finish rendering the frame and swap buffers.
> <...> Is my assumption about CPU possible idle during
> rendering wrong?

Yes, it's slightly wrong. If you don't do any pipeline stalls by
yourself, then while GPU is still rendering frame N, the CPU is
already submitting commands for frame N+1 and so on. In DirectX, the
driver can queue up to three frames (this also means that the actual
display may be "delayed" - i.e. it's lagging a couple of frames
behind).

Returning to the topic: for the near future, I think the most you can
get out of multicore stuff is to run big clearly separate things on
the different cores (i.e. one for physics, one for rendering, etc.).
Trying to schedule&manage lots of small tasks (like OpenMP would do)
probably won't help much.

--
Aras 'NeARAZ' Pranckevicius
http://nesnausk.org/nearaz | http://nearaz.blogspot.com