[ODE] Propagating auto-enable

Geoff Carlton gcarlton at iinet.net.au
Mon Aug 15 10:43:51 MST 2005

I've got a simulation that consists of a large number of boxes, and I'm
looking to optimise it.

The domain is very much like a cookie jar full of cubes, where a new
cube is dropped onto the top of the pile.  The new cube ends up sitting
on top, and a few others are jiggled around, but the lower level ones
just really sit there.  In ODE, it works but the period of "jiggling"
causes a slowdown because the objects are auto-enabled for a brief time.

One idea would be to propagate the "enabled-ness" outward from the
initial body, only proceeding if the action has caused enough
movement/force in the intermediate bodies.  In a situation like a
lopsided pyramid, the top bodies wouldn't be stable, and thus the
movement would be propagated as far as necessary.  In a situation like
my cookie-jar, the packed in bodies wouldn't move so the propagation
would halt.  The propagation per iteration would probably need to depend
on the transmitted forces and their direction, so a lightly touching
cube at the foot of a pyramid does little, but one speeding like a
bullet immediately turns on the lot.

Anybody got any ideas about whether this would work?

Geoff