[ODE]How can ode implement a pulley system?

Adam D. Moss adam at gimp.org
Mon Apr 18 15:47:58 MST 2005

revv00 at mails.tsinghua.edu.cn wrote:
> Hi, all:
>   I am searching a method to accomplish my course project and find ODE a rather
> good engine, Here is my problem:
>   It seems hard to implement a dynamic process of a pulley system, take the
> following case for example,('@' for the wheel, two 'O' for objects which are
> supposed to contacted with the Triangle,'\'connected with the 'O' is for the ideal
> ropes.)

Well, you're right; the setup you describe can be simulated by
ODE except that, critically, ODE doesn't have a native representation
for things like ropes.  Ropes can be reasonably simulated by a
jointed chain of many short cylinders, however - it's just a bit
fiddly and not exceptionally fast.

--Adam
Adam D. Moss   -   adam at gimp.org