[ODE] Boolean operation on collision geometry

Gary R. Van Sickle g.r.vansickle at worldnet.att.net
Fri Apr 8 02:31:37 MST 2005

> Thanks Adam.
>
> Noticed that Christian Larsen in
> http://q12.org/pipermail/ode/2004-October/014181.html talked
> about a subtraction of a sphere from a box. I wonder if
> anyone has done this work (or similar) or not (other than of
> triangulation), as this particular case is just what I would
> like to achieve.
>
> Thanks
>
> Gao Yang

FWIW, I tried for a while to find something exactly like you're talking
about, but came up empty.  If papers addressing such an issue exist, I
couldn't find them on the web, though I would sure like to see them, because
it has the potential to make collision detection faster by (I suspect)
several O()rders of magnitude ;-).  What I finally decided to do is convex
polyhedral decomposition and then colliding the convex polyhedra, since I
have to do the decomposition for other reasons anyway.  But this ain't a
walk in the park either.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle