[ODE] Making it build again (WHY WARNINGS MUST BE TREATEDASERRORS)

Mike Reinstein web_fella at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 25 21:29:45 MST 2004

I don't understand why this is so difficult to comprehend. It is this
simple:
a) Warning in ODE MUST be ASSUMED to be errors until they are determined to
be otherwise. In the example I posted before, some of the warnings in my
friends code were superfluous, but some were not. But we only care about
finding the warnings that truly are errors correct? The only way to do this
is to START BY ASSUMING ALL OF THEM are errors and sift through them.

b) Something I didnt mention in my last post but h+ touched on heavily is
the fact that warnings often come from poorly written code. Almost every
single warning CAN be removed by changing code around. Go back to my highway
overpass example. Why do we have clearance signs on the over passes? Because
it is way too time consuming and expensive to rebuild every overpass to be
high enough such that every truck can roll underneath it safely. It is also
impossible to build all trucks short enough such that they will all fit
under all underpasses. We can't get rid of some warnings in real life
because of constraints we can't change. Not true in software. The warnings
are entirely fixable and they should be.

btw, what do project managers have to do with taking any of this so called
blame? Sure as an engineer I like passing the blame to management whenever I
can, but come on...that's a bit silly....

-Mike

<g.r.vansickle at worldnet.att.net>
>To: <ode at q12.org>
>Subject: RE: [ODE] Making it build again (WHY WARNINGS MUST BE