[ODE] More car "feeling" issues

Jon Watte hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Wed Sep 22 09:24:18 MST 2004

> My guess is that the position of the wheels, even if symmetric, have a
> great impact on the dynamics of the car. If you take the rectangle
> formed by the wheel positions, is there an easy relationship between the
> sides of the rectangle, the area of the rectangle, or something like
> that, and how the car "feels"?

> I'll also experiment with the CoG but I'd like to know how important are
> the wheel positions.

The wider the rectangle, the more stable the car is.

The lower the center of gravity, the more stable the car is.

And, yeah: you NEED anti-sway bars.

I'm working on an update to the carworld demo, which breaks
the car simulation into its own file (makes it easier to see
what's going on :-). It also fixes some bugs. Stay tuned
(famous last words). The previous version is available at:
http://www.speakeasy.net/~hplus/carworld-040730.zip

Cheers,

			/ h+