[ODE] continuous forces w/ constant step size

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Fri Sep 17 12:34:54 MST 2004

> I don't see how that would do anything different from
> the pseudocode I posted.  In your pseudocode, the
> input and continuous forces are still being applied
> only once per visual frame, not once per time step.
> Input will then be applied more often on a fast
> machine than on a slow machine.

I didn't see your corrected post, but you still have a problem, in that
you're throwing away the fractional part of dT that remains when the final
"while dT >= STEP_SIZE" test fails.  This *will* cause ODE's notion of time
to diverge from your app's.  Fix that first and see if it magically feels
better.  I'll bet it will.

It's OK to apply input forces less often on a slow machine.  They won't be
as "valid," but your player doesn't have much choice since s/he is reacting
to a slow and jerky portrayal of the game state.  That's the problem with
owning a slow machine. :)

-- jm