[ODE] Sliding over a trimesh

Adam D. Moss adam at gimp.org
Thu Sep 16 09:35:35 MST 2004

Will Thimbleby wrote:
> Confused ramblings.....
> Also. I was thinking about the trimesh collision code, and I was
> wondering if it might be a good idea to be able to give trimeshes a
> handedness (cw/ccw).  This way the penetration depth is always known.

This is already the case... winding-order is very important.

> Perhaps, would it be possible / 'a good idea' to be able to turn edge
> collisions off for specific(convex and duplicated) edges. If these both
> were done would it be equivalent to a convex hull

I think that'd be very nice.  At the moment, though, IIRC ODE (OPCODE)
trimeshes are pretty much a triangle-soup with no connectivity
information for making this automatic -- but I don't see a technical reason
why each triangle couldn't have three flags for explicitly turning off
per-edge collisions (or, that is to say, the direction of push would always
be the triangle's normal in the event of a 'disabled' edge collision).

--Adam