[ODE] Angular-velocity autodisabling considered broken

Jon Watte hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Wed Sep 15 14:25:16 MST 2004

> Did I mention using instantaneous velocities? Nope, I don't think so. :o)

You said you put the object back to sleep "immediately".

In fact, suppose object A rests on object B, and you remove
object B in a single step (say, by deleting it) -- in a system
that uses immediate velocities OR that uses an integration over
time, it's likely that A will never wake up in this case.

> The gist of
> it is that the objects that were once asleep tend to stay that way,
> and the "sleeeping shockwave" propagates through the island,

In my experience (say, the block pile in the car demo I posted),
object will go to sleep briefly, but if some other block is awake,
the object will quickly wake up again. It's more like a continual
barrage of "awakening shockwaves" than a single "sleeping shockwave".

> If you insist on all-or-nothing sleeping, then
> situations like this (single object not being able to come to rest for
> seconds) will certainly blow the entire island into pieces.

I don't insist on all-or-nothing sleeping. I sleep each object
individually. And when it's sleeping, it doesn't move (effective
velcity zero). I'm saying that, in actuality, what ends up happening
for larger islands, is that other objects will keep waking up the
sleeping object.

Cheers,

			/ h+