[ODE] Angular-velocity autodisabling considered broken

Jon Watte hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Tue Sep 14 18:46:00 MST 2004

> I think that the problem that needs to be addressed is the jittering
> itself. Using the auto-disabling mechanism to reduce the effects may work

Because ODE is a penetration based system, I'm not sure you
can get rid of the jitter. You can minimize it by using a
constant time step, but you can't make it go away, just
because of the way the system works. Things aren't "glued"
when they're resting, they're constantly inter-penetrating
and having forces applied to cancel that out.

Now, a bunch of people are using variable time steps, usually
because it's easiest and they don't know better. Could we
make it harder to use a variable time step, say by having an
API call dWorldSetTimeStep( dReal ), and not take a time step
size in dWorldStep() and friends? You still COULD do the
variable time step if you wanted, by updating it every frame,
but it would send a not-so-subtle clue that that's not the
ideal thing to do.

Cheers,

			/ h+