[ODE] force feedback

George Manolaros gmanol at htr.gr
Tue Sep 14 10:36:53 MST 2004

hello,

I'm trying to get force feedback from a contact joint..

it works fine, but to my surprise the f1 and f2 are always counterforces
(f1=-f2).

the manual says that f1 and f2 are the forces that the joint applies to
body 1 & 2 respectively..

the question is:
_where_ are these forces being applied?
At the center of mass or at the contact point?

i know that the obvious answer is at the contact point (since f1=-f2).
But such a force should generate torque.

i seems more logical to me that ODE should decompose the total force
applied by the joint to a central force (f1) applied to the center of
mass and a tangential force generating torque (t1).

can someone please clear out the exact nature of the forces?

thank you,
George