[ODE] XYZ Axis Orientation and 0 degrees

Jon Watte hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Mon Sep 13 11:41:29 MST 2004

There is no "up". There is no "identity orientation" per se. They
all are just what you want them to be. ODE isn't even sensitive to
left- or right-handedness (except in the triangle mesh description
winding order). Just plug in the numbers you expect, and interpret
them in the same, consistent, manner, and you'll get out what you
want.

There are some minor niggles, such as certain geoms are created
in a specific "major axis" only (ccylinder, I think?) that you may
have to adjust with a GeomTransform, but there's no consistent,
single convention used or enforced.

If you want Y up, then make gravity be <0,-9.8,0>.

If you want (0,0,0) to mean "points along +X" then just make sure
that your objects are created with their major direction being
along +X (and your camera starts out looking along +X).

Cheers,

			/ h+