[ODE] point-on-plane constraint

Jon Watte hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Sun Sep 12 17:18:29 MST 2004

> I don't know how this could work, because the standard ball constraint
> already removes the 3 DOF for the xyz movement, but how could I
> archive the required motion then?

You only want to remove one degree of freedom (along the axis of the
plane normal). Thus, you want to take the ball joint, and remove two
of the constraints that it currently imposes, rather than adding more
constraints to it. Never having written an ODE joint, I don't know
what the details would be -- it might be that the movement necessary
in a "constrain to plane" joint is actually different enough that
it's a whole new joint type.

Cheers,

			/ h+