[ODE] three-body joints

Alen Ladavac alenl-ml at croteam.com
Fri Sep 10 21:51:28 MST 2004

> The differential is a joint between the drive shaft, and the two axels
> that go to the wheels.
Yes, that's exactly what I ment. But if the drive shaft is not an ODE body,
I thought you might try to factor the whole thing into a motor joint. That
joint would just connect two wheels and current motor parameters would be
inputs for the joint. But then again, I wasn't thinking about this:
>  Actually, since some angular momentum is
> transferred to the chassis as well, I guess it has to be a 4-body joint.
Yes, the piece where momentum of wheel rotation is actually supported by the
chasis is important there, of course.

> It might in theory be possible to use only 2-body joints by modeling the
> gears in the differential as trimeshes,
Hm... why trimeshes? If you are into modeling contacts between gears, you
could just hard-code them as permament contacts. It does sound like
overdoing, but since you are already modeling the flywheel and clutch... :)

Just my 2 cents,
Alen

> but that's going to be a whole
> can of worms.  I can't see that being at all practical.  Anyway, no
> rush, my current system is acceptable for now :)  ODE still rocks for
> the suspension model :)
>
> - Graham Fyffe
> president, Happy Digital
>

> > If it's only about the differential, you should probably implement it as
> > two body joint. As I understand it, the third body here (motor) is not
> > really a body in a usual simulation. I mean, you don't actually model
the
> > engine, transmission, etc. directly with bodies and joints, do you? ;)
> Or do
> > you need differential joint for something other than powering a car?
> >
> > Alen

I'm