[ODE] Re: Mailing list -> forum

Matthias Baas baas at ira.uka.de
Wed Sep 8 09:22:21 MST 2004

adrianotiger wrote:
> Forum is easy to set up....
> Mails can't do more than a forum...

Personally, I prefer a mailing list over a *web* forum. I've never
understood why people want to use a *web browser* to read a forum while
there is a specialized internet service for forums, namely USENET.
I think someone mentioned already that this mailing list is mirrored at
http://news.gmane.org/ which can act as a nntp server. So you just have
to subscribe gmane.comp.lib.ode in your favorite newsreader and you have
a full-blown newsgroup with all features like offline reading,
threading, watching or ignoring threads, searching and whatnot.

So I don't think it's necessary to set up a web forum which, in my
opinion, is a big step back from the convenience of USENET.

- Matthias -