[ODE] Contact Joints

Nguyen Binh ngbinh at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 10:38:57 MST 2004

Hi Tota!

contact force : fc  = trans(J)*lamda
acceleration along contact normal : ac = J*a + k

With inequality constraints we have, ac = J*a + k >= 0.

But we actually don't model like that. We just need a maths model that
fits the nature of contact:
1. contact force push, not pull => fc >= 0
2. contact force * acceleration = 0

So our model :
 a) if fc = 0 -> no contact -> don't care about ac -> we model J*a + k = 0
 b) if ac = 0 -> resting contact -> fc >= 0 and J*a + k = 0

That's maths model does fit contact's nature.
So the difference between contact and joints constraint is the
complementarity of fc and ac not the constraints equation.

--
Nguyen Binh
www.glassegg.com