[ODE] compiler crash / trimesh collision questions

James W. Walker jamesw at frameforge3d.com
Wed Oct 6 16:23:24 MST 2004

I tried to build ODE, but every time I tried to compile one of the
collision_trimesh_*.cpp sources, CodeWarrior 9 crashed (on Mac OS X).
I started with the CodeWarrior project in the contrib folder, but it
is more than 2 years old.  Is anyone using ODE successfully with
CodeWarrior 9?

Since I really just want to do collision detection with triangle
meshes, I decided to try using OPCODE without ODE.  There does not
seem to be any mailing list or forum for OPCODE, and the
documentation is out of date, so I hope y'all won't mind a few OPCODE
questions here.

The OPCODE release notes mention a HybridModel that sounds better
than the regular Model, but I see that ODE uses Model.  Anyone know
how to use HybridModel?

I tried using OPCODE in a test case, and it took something like 50
times longer than my homegrown test.  The vast majority of the time
was spent in Model::Build, not in AABBTreeCollider::Collide, so I
guess the moral is that I should cache the model rather than
computing it on the fly at each test.  But still, that work has got
to be done sometime, and if my program has to sit there building
models for a couple of minutes every time it loads a scene, it's not
a good thing.  Am I missing something?
--
   James W. Walker, ScriptPerfection Enterprises, Inc.
   <http://www.write-brain.com/>