[ODE] friction and restitution

Tyler Streeter tylerstreeter at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 2 22:16:25 MST 2004

> Err, no, this was supposed to be a physics related
> question, not an ODE
> question. The question was whether such attributes
> exist in the first place,
> that is whether some measure of friction and
> restitution can be defined for a
> single body (from which we can calculate the
> respective (approximate) measure
> for a given pair) and which attributes these are.
>
> For example: if such a friction attribute exists and
> for wood it is u1 and for
> steel u2 then the friction coefficients for
> wood-wood, wood-steel,
> steel-steel should be f(u1, u1), f(u2, u2), f(u3,
> u3) respectively, where f
> is some function. I've been searching all over the
> web for something like
> that but to no avail.

I recently came up against the same problem - each
object can store its own material parameters, but when
two objects collide, you have to find some way to
combine them to create a contact joint.  I don't know
if my way is physically accuract, but here's what I
do: For friction I multiply the two objects' friction
parameters (each has sort of a "roughness" parameter,
actually, since friction parameters seems to be
defined only when two objects touch).  I also have a
solidness and bounciness parameters per object.  These
I average when two objects collide.

Tyler Streeter