[ODE] friction and restitution

Dimitris Papavasiliou jimmyp at hal.csd.auth.gr
Sat Oct 2 23:20:38 MST 2004

I'm writing a program were you define an arbitrary bunch of bodies in the
world with their various parameters and then simulate it and I'm having
trouble with collisions. The problem is that I don't want to have to specify
the coefficients of restitution and friction (bounce and mu) for every body
pair that might potentially collide (and it wouldn't be very easy to look up
each pair fast when creating contact joints, either).

So isn't there a way to define some sort of friction and restitution
coefficients *per body* not per pair and then be able to calculate the
coefficients for the pair from them? It wouldn't have to be perfectly
accurate I suppose but relatively fast to compute.

Dimitris