[ODE] Angular motor weirdness

John john at timeburger.com
Sat Nov 20 13:40:05 MST 2004

Howdy!

I've got a question regarding angular motors.  I apologize if this
question is answered in the docs (if it is, I haven't been able to find it).

I've got this mass (1 unit) chillin' with an angular motor attached to
it.  I give it an axis and a maximum force (say 2 units).  Then I tell
it to achieve a velocity of maybe .5 units (dJointSetAMotorParam(jointX,
dParamVel, .5)).  Everything seems to be all hunky-dory, but after a few
seconds I notice that the mass is spinning way too fast -- it actually
seems to be constantly accelerating.  But dBodyGetAngularVel(bodyID)
tells me that it's going .5 units/sec, even when it's obviously still
accelerating.  If I tell the motor to stop by setting its target
velocity to zero, it almost instantly complies.  When I start it back up
again, it's back up to its much-too-fast rotating again with not nearly
as much ramp up time.  Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks much!

-- John