[ODE] Applying forces outside the phys loop vs applying them inside

Megan Fox shalinor at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 10:15:34 MST 2004

As it stands, I have a suite of functions on my physical component
that exposes all the various force application functions.  However,
I've found thus far that they aren't particularly useful when dealing
with fine operations (such as the force application for a hovering
body) when called external to the phys system, and I question if I can
get repeatable behavior out of them at all short of sticking
everything inside the inner phys loop.

Now the problem is, of course, that the phys loop ends up running at a
much higher rate than the rest of the engine - the phys loop often
takes two loops to the normal engine's one, leading to jittering
hovering bodies and other such fun if the code is outside the inner
loop.

My question is, has anyone else found "external" force functions like
this particularly useful?  Aside from debug pushing things around, I'm
worried I'll end up having to stick everything inside that inner loop
if I want it to have any sort of fine-tune ability or control.  Any
suggestions for a clean way of tethering the external logic in generic
fashion to the internal loop?

Thanks,
-Megan Fox