[ODE] Controlling an avatar and the use of AMotors

Patrick McColgan patrick at torcinteractive.com
Mon Nov 8 10:52:17 MST 2004

Hello

I'm trying to develop a character controller in ODE, I've already gone
through the mailing list and read similar queries.  The recommended
approach for maintaining something like a vertically standing cylinder
is to use an amotor however I have extensively searched the mailing
lists and beyond this recommendation there isn't much more support for
the use of amotors themselves and their use in such a situation.

I haven't found the ODE manual particularily clear when discussing
amotors either.

At the minute I have implemented an amotor between a sphere and the
environment (i.e. nothing) and use dAmotorEuler (defining global y and x
axis as the first and third axis) so it automatically defines the z axis
as the second axis.

 From this it can return the relative rotations from the sphere's local
axis and the global axis as Euler Angles.  Is this essentially what an
amotor does?  Just returning the difference?  I don't find the use of
Euler angles particularily useful.

I'd really appreciate if anyone had a more detailed approcah for the
application of AMotors to maintain an avatar (i.e. keeping something
like a cylinder upright).

Thanks