[ODE] Re: Step Sizes

Daniel Marbach daniel.marbach at epfl.ch
Thu Nov 4 14:58:23 MST 2004

Hi,

I agree with Jon that there must be some serious bug in your program (for
example in the near callback) - If you do things right, there's no vanishing,
jittering, popping etc in ODE and yes, if you reduce the step size, things
should get more accurate.

Also your previous problem (changing number of contact points results in
dramatical change in simulation) is not normal and indicates that you do
something wrong.

My suggestion (alternative to the debugger): take the ode test that is closest
to your application (e.g. test boxstack) and build up from there...

Cheers, Daniel

< Perhaps this is my own fault, but I didn't see anywhere a good step
< size for dWorldStep. I'm using ODE in a fixed-frame game, running at 30
< FPS, so originally I set the step size for 1/30. I recently tried
< adjusting this to see if it would make my simulation more stable (you
< know, the vanishing, jittering, and occasional popping that occurs.) I
< adjusted it from 1/30 to 1/300. The simulation actually got MUCH WORSE
< with more popping and vanishing.

< What the hell? I'd have thought if ANY change were made by giving ODE
< more granularity, it would be that the simulation would become MORE
< ACCURATE.

< WHAT IS GOING ON?

Daniel Marbach
Bitziusstr. 9