[ODE] block stacking

Bob Cohen bob at freshferret.com
Wed May 26 16:13:43 MST 2004

Hello all -

Looking for some references or a bit of advice.  I'm writing some code
that creates stacks of blocks (cubes, all the same size and mass) that I
need to insure are stable (ie - will support each other without falling
down).  I tried using ode to do this but ran into previously cited issues
with large stacks of objects creating instability in the solver.
Obviously, I could do this with a static analysis of the blocks'
configuration, but after a bit of thought, this seems to be a non-trivial
problem, and I was hoping for a quick and dirty solution.  Could anyone
supply references to a any geometrical/physics text or code that might
address this problem, or have any ideas for a quick and dirty solution?

Thanks!

Bob Cohen
bob at freshferret.com