[ODE] Improved QuickStep stability...?

Billy Zelsnack billy_zelsnack at yahoo.com
Wed May 19 10:21:07 MST 2004

Improved QuickStep stability...?

Adam D. Moss wrote:
Don't hit me -- I added random constraint reordering to QuickStep and
it
helped stability a lot, partially in terms of stacking stability
(test_crash's wall) but mostly in terms of stopping test_crash's buggy
from jiggling and flying apart (test_crash now does a good impression
of
being stable at very very few iterations). This trumps
REORDER_CONSTRAINTS, so there's no point in using them together unless
you like wasting time.

I played around with testcrash a little bit. I used a little trick that

I use in my own non-matrix-method solver and it seemed to help. I'm not

sure if it breaks other things.

float ramp=(1-((float)(iteration+1)/(float)num_iterations));
delta*=ramp;

Put that just above:

// update fc.
// @@@ potential optimization: SIMD for this and the b2 >= 0 case

Sorry for not using a proper diff.

Of course that divide can be precomputed or other fancier functions can

be used. Also. I have found randomizing ordering in my own solver to
work quite well.