[ODE] quickStep doesn't work for me.

Russ Smith russ at q12.org
Tue May 18 16:15:38 MST 2004

> I simulate a biped walking robot, and all the motor are actuated
> setting the desired position.

you are right, quickstep will have a little more trouble making a system
look right when there are motors present. there are actually many things
that can be done to the algorithm to improve convergence in these cases,
but upping the number of iterations works reasonably well for me. for
example, in my own ant simulator:

   http://ode.org/tmp/ants.jpg

...where there are motors at every joint, the default 20 iterations
makes the ant look a bit springy and spongy. at 100 iterations the
problems go away.

there should only be motor related problems though, not contact related
problems ...?

an interesting test is to take the boxstack demo and reduce the number
of iterations to ONE. surprisingly it still kind of works, but the boxes
behave like little cubes of jello.

russ.

--
Russell Smith