[ODE] Refactoring Drawstuff

daniel.marbach at epfl.ch daniel.marbach at epfl.ch
Tue May 18 19:29:01 MST 2004

Hi

Drawstuff is nice for simple tests - but it was never intended to be an
extensible framework for more complicated applications that use ODE.

For my software systems architecture project I am currently porting
drawstuff to GLUT and refactoring it with the goal to design an easy-to-use,
object-oriented graphics framework for ODE. The advantages of this refactored
drawstuff framework are numerous:

- Users can easily build portable ode apps taking advantage of GLUT (e.g. pop-up
menus, keyboard input, drawing functions etc).

- A 'Facade' provides the identical functional interface like drawstuff (for
those that like the good old callback functions)

- The new framework is object-oriented, using appropriate design patterns to
guarantee maximum flexibility and extensiblity (for those that do not like
callback functions;)

I was wondering if there are similar projects out there and if you think such a
framework would be usefull.

My code so far is far from stable so it doesn't make much sense to post it - The
deadline for the project is in three weeks, I'll put the sources along with doc
and tutorial on the web by then.

Greetings,
Daniel